Ubuntu Forums: Ubuntu Development & Programming

At UDS this week we had a spec (https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/packaging-section-on-the-forum) to look how the MOTUs could teach and assist forum users how to properly package software for Ubuntu. This would make sure better and safer packages created by forum users, and get some people from the forums interested in the great work the MOTUs do.

The first result of this was a reorganization of all of the development and programming sections on the forums. All these sections are now located together in the sub forum Ubuntu Development & Programming.

Sections in this subforum are:

1. Packaging and Compiling Programs
  2. Development CD/DVD Image Testing
  3. Development (Hardy Heron)
  4. Ubuntu Idea Pool
  5. Ubuntu Dev Link Forum
  6. Programming Talk
  7. Repositories & Backports
  8. Ubuntu Backports
  9. Ubuntu Forum Archives
  10. Old Release Development Archives (Closed, but readable)

RSS Feed: http://ubuntuforums.org/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=310

Thanks to ubuntu-geek and dholbach for their hard work and leadership on this spec.

Be Sociable, Share!

Posted in Ubuntu Linux and tagged by with 6 comments.

Comments

• LaserJock says:

Great idea, only one problem, IMO. The forums are really down deep in the structure, would it be possible to move them up in the hierarchy so that it’s up there with “Main Support Categories” and “Other Community Discussions”? IMO “Ubuntu Development & Programming” is worth it.

• Mike says:

If we would do that, it would put to much clutter on the front page.

• jimcooncat says:

Thanks, I didn’t know about this! Maybe now I can get some help with the little packages I want to make — just my own defaults to existing packages.

• baps says:

Oh my, dh-make (or debhelper or whatever) is still there? Maybe it’s just me, but I find creating .deb packages very confusing. I wanted to create .deb for our software (some time ago, maybe even before warty), so I went to debian’s site for maintainers and there was this huge package policy document. I tried the helper scripts, which created a template file, which was full of strange scripts. I had so many problems doing it what I want, the deb package tool kept reporting errors and errors with really bad explanations (like “File XYZ has bad format”, but there was no documentation about XYZ!). I just gave up, I was short on time, so I took the RPMs that I already had (very simple to create!) and converted them to debs with alien.

I hope it is saner nowadays…

• Kyle Elbert says:

packaging from scratch is moderately difficult. Upgrading a packaging already in the repos to a newer version is very very easy (basically just copy and paste) for some links see my blog (note I am also very new to packaging, but i did upgrade one package already (Tightvnc from 1.2.9 to 1.3.9)

• baps says:

> packaging from scratch is moderately difficult. Upgrading a packaging already in the repos to a newer version is very very easy (basically just copy and paste)

So it’s like autotools, nobody can actually produce a working non-trivial setup from scratch anymore? :D But okay, I’ll stop whining now, I guess it’s time to give debs a second try.

Pingbacks & Trackbacks